photo Header_zps2352adce.png

Friday, August 9, 2013

Five on Friday




ONE
TGIF! For real this week. I think the craziness has finally died down at work for a while. I'm totally ready for a little down time this weekend with my favorites. We have a birthday party Saturday, and I'm hoping the weather cooperates for a visit to the farmer's market, the pool, and hopefully some patio action for lunch or dinner too.



TWO
I've had hypothyroidism for years now, and went for my annual appointment with my endo doctor a few weeks ago. My test results confused him (levels are super elevated, as if I haven't been taking my medicine at all). He's been calling doctors all over (even at the Mayo Clinic) to come up with an explanation of my TSH levels (over a 6 right now and normal is in the 1-2 range). My iron stores are really low and he wants to "aggressively replenish" them (guessing he will do a transfusion). He drew more labs and I go back in a couple of weeks to develop a game plan with him. I know I've been a little off the gluten-free diet (why are bread and sweets soooo good?!), which is why my iron is so low. I've got to get back on the bandwagon though. No wonder I've been feeling "off" lately.



THREE
Trying to plan a short get-a-way to the beach next month with my sweet family but can't decide where to go. I need to see my toddler running on the beach with her little pigtails curled from the salt water. I need to run on the beach. I need amazing seafood. Must get to the sea :)



FOUR
Hadley has a Luau / Water Party Day at Nanny's today. She got to wear her swimsuit to school - she's been so excited about this all week!  One night I was making dinner this week, and I let her play with playdough. I asked her what she was cooking and she said "eggs Mommy!"  I told her I liked egg whites and asked if she would make me some.  She then asked "do you like eggs blue Mommy?" 

I mean, can she be any cuter?!

FIVE
I tried a new recipe this week and it did not disappoint!

Taco Stuffed  Zucchini Boats
 
adapted from skinnytaste.com
 

Ingredients
4 medium zucchinis, cut in half lengthwise
1/2 cup your favorite salsa
1 lb lean ground turkey or chicken (I used 99% lean chicken)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 small onion, minced
1/2 of one red bell pepper, minced
4 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro, for topping

Directions

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.

Using a small spoon or melon baller, hollow out the center of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside 3/4 of a cup to add to the taco filling (squeeze excess water with a paper towel).

Brown meat in a large skillet. When no longer pink add the spices and mix well. Add the onion, bell pepper, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce and water. Stir and cover, simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat equally, about 1/3 cup in each, pressing firmly. Top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through. Top with scallions and serve with salsa on the side.

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment