photo Header_zps2352adce.png

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

amen sister!

All moms should read this post. 

I can totally relate to how this mom feels. I've experienced this judgement as a new mom, and I'm sure it will continue.  From how I chose to feed my baby, diaper her, let her sleep, how I dress her, and who cares for her when I'm working....and the list goes on.

I've definitely had to make some tough decisions since Hadley was born. 

The most difficult - returning to work.  I worked in public accounting at KPMG for 4 years before beginning my new life as a mom.  It was challenging, stressful, and wonderful, all at the same time.  I had amazing mentors and clients and worked my tail off for 4 years.  I was so lucky to have 6 months of maternity leave (some paid, some unpaid), but I need to work.  It's part of who I am, plus we like paying our bills.  But working 50-60 hours a week did not appeal to me once Hadley was born.  So I decided to leave the only place I'd known for TVA where more work-life balance was available.  I'm so thankful for better hours and the wonderful people I work with - plus I get to work out at lunch (but I do miss KPMG and my peeps there).  It is hard to leave my baby at daycare - somedays its harder than others - but I'm so thankful that we found such a wonderful daycare for her to attend.  If I can't love on her from 8-5 everyday, we found the next best thing.  She loves her teachers and friends and is always smiling when we drop her off and pick her up.

Formula/Breast feeding.  Ugh.  Hate this one.  I desperately tried to breastfeed Hadley.  It was no easy task for us.  Hadley would get frustrated, and cry, I was frustrated, and I cried. We cried together for 3 weeks.  I read books, did alot of internet research, and contacted a lactation consultant, with little success.  Finally, I started pumping and giving her the milk in a bottle.  It worked for us for 7 more months. It was a ginormous pain, but I did it for her.  Since then, she's had formula, and I'm grateful that is an option for all mothers.

Sleeping. We co-slept with Hadley for about 4-6 weeks (starting when she was about 6 weeks old).  Because this mama needed sleep!  It worked for us at the time.  And them I read a few sleep books and came to the realization, this was really the only thing that was "ours" (mine and Brandon's) and that we needed our bed back.  So we put Hadley in her crib around 11-12 weeks.  We let her "cry it out" based on the "Healthy Sleep Habbits, Happy Child" extinction method.  I wasn't as hardcore as the book method explained, but in a week or two, we were all sleeping.  Hallelujah!

Clothing.  Thank goodness for consignment sales and Carters brand!  I don't feel like I need to dress our baby in $50 smocked outfits everyday.  Don't get me wrong, I love a cute outfit every now and then, but let's be honest, she crawls on the floor, self feeds, and drools all day!  Not to mention, she's growing like a weed!  I'm lucky that we have some great consignment sales around town.

Baby food.  Make your own or store-bought.  Who cares, as long as you feed that baby!  Hadley has had both.  I loved my Babycook from WS, but somedays, I don't feel like peeling, dicing, steaming and pureeing!  I love Sprout and Gerber for store-bought options.

All moms make their own difficult decisions, just as I have.  In most cases, it’s just a guessing game. We survive and we move from one day to the next.  I'm so proud of all my mommy friends.  This is the most rewarding and difficult job in the whole world!

3 comments:

  1. First of all, LOVE that article too! Thanks for posting it - I want to add my own thoughts on my blog so I'll link to you if I do! :-)

    Second of all, LOVE that blog that the article came from. So thanks for sharing it!

    I love hearing your thoughts and am so glad you have such great confidence in your decisions. I try too as well but I don't always succeed - I'll try to add more on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just have to add that I finally figured out how to comment! Yay! I was missing being able to comment on your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you can comment again! I just ran across that blog yesterday - love it!

    ReplyDelete